- From the checkbook screen, click on Setup and then Bank/Internal Acct List.
- To add an account/category, click in the account list where the account/category should be added. Optionally, click on a Category Name to add an account to that category (the account will be added to the top of the list for that category). Click the Add Account or Add Category button. See the illustration below.
- Type in the name of the New Account/Category and press Enter. Category and accounts names can be up to 50 characters long.
- For accounts only, enter in the starting balance. If this is a new account, the starting balance should typically be $0.00. Adding funds to a new account should be done by entering a deposit or transfer. If it is an amount other than zero, such as when setting up NTS for the first time, then this amount should correspond to an amount in a bank account. For more information about the Bank and Internal Account relationship, see: An in-depth look at Internal Accounts.
- The accounts and categories can be reordered. To move an account or category, click and drag the account/category up or down in the list.
- To delete an account/category, click on the account or category with the mouse to select it. Click the Delete button at the bottom of the screen.
To delete an account or category, click on the account or category with the mouse to select it. Next, click the Delete button.
Any account or category that has been used in the current fiscal year must stay on the books until the end of the fiscal year. After changing to the next fiscal year, it can be deleted. An account with activity can also be deleted if all transaction that use the account are changed to use a different account. In most cases, it is best to wait until the start of the next fiscal year to delete the account. Deleting an account in the current fiscal year will not affect prior years. In order to delete a category, all accounts in the category must be deleted first.
To make changes to any existing account or category, click either the account name or the starting balance. Type in the new name or balance and press Enter or click the Save Acct/Category button to save the changes. To cancel any changes, press the Esc key. When changing an account name, all prior transactions in the current fiscal year that use the account will change to the new account name.
- The sum of all internal account starting balances must equal the sum of all bank account starting balances. The totals at the bottom of both lists must be equal.
- The first account in the list will be the default account when entering transactions in the checkbook register. The Church General Operating or Tithes account should be listed first.