What do I use as a starting balance when starting NTS in the middle of the fiscal year?

Use the most recent reconciled balance from your bank accounts. If you want to have information for the entire fiscal year, you will need to use the balance at the beginning of the fiscal year. You will then need to enter into NTS any transactions that occurred since that date. Optionally, you can enter a lump sum for all expenses and income since the beginning of your fiscal year. See the link below for more information.

Just as a reminder, you will not be able to print an Annual Report with complete information unless all data from the beginning of the fiscal year has been entered in some form.