The Schedule can be used to remind you of and post transactions that are written on a regular basis. This feature works for Checks, E-Checks and Transfers. If you have NTS version 4.86 or older, see Check Scheduler instructions for older versions.
After filling out a check or transfer and before saving it, a box, like the one above, will appear above the Save Changes Button. To schedule the transaction for a future date:
- Type in a description of the check in the Description box if desired. (A description is not required.)
- Select the Frequency of the check. The default setting is Monthly. To change the frequency, click on the Frequency box and select a different frequency.
- In the "Next Due Date" box, select the date you want NTS to remind you of the check or transfer. Click OK to save the reminder.
Optionally, you can schedule a check or transfer without entering it into the checkbook.
- From the Checkbook screen, click the Schedule button.
- Click the Add Scheduled Transaction button and then click on the type of transaction you want to add.
- Fill out the due date, type, description, $ amount, frequency, payee (only for checks) and Bank Account. Only the description is optional. All other fields are required except for the payee on a transfer which is not applicable.
- Click the plus button to add a transaction detail line. Fill out the transaction detail just as you would a check or transfer entered into the checkbook directly.
- After entering the information, exit the Schedule screen. The transaction will be automatically saved.
When opening the Checkbook screen, the Schedule screen (see illustration below) will appear when one or more transactions are due. This screen will appear before the normal Checkbook screen so you can't miss it. To post the scheduled transactions:
- Items that are highlighted in yellow are the items that are scheduled to be paid. If you only to post some of the transactions due, de-select the transactions you don't want to print by double clicking in the "Post?" column. The 'X' will be removed. Transactions that are de-selected will appear again ready to be posted the next time the checkbook screen is opened.
- Other transaction can be selected as well. To post transactions which are not currently due, double click in the "Post?" column. An 'X' will appear and the transactions will be moved towards the top of the list.
- To unselect all scheduled transactions, uncheck the checkbox above the Post column. To select all transactions that are schedule to be paid, check the Post checkbox.
- Verify that "Today's Date" at the top of the Schedule screen is the date that the transactions should be dated. If it is not, click on the date and change the date to the date you want. All transactions will be posted on the date selected, not the Due Date.
- The system will generate a check or transaction number for each check and transfer. The number will be next to the type. To use a different number, click on the number and type in a different number.
- After selecting the transactions to be posted, verify the amount. If an amount needs to be changed, click on the dollar amount and type in the new amount. You will also need to change the amount in the transaction detail at the bottom of the window. The check amount and the detail amount should add up to the same amount.
- If necessary, change any of the expense or internal accounts. Click on any part of the transaction detail to change accounts or to edit the comments. To add or delete any lines of the transaction detail, see the instructions above.
- After changing any amounts that need to be changed, click the "Post Scheduled Transactions" button. The selected transactions will be posted to the checkbook.
- If you are not ready to post any of the selected transactions, click the Exit button or press the Escape (Esc) key to return to the checkbook screen
To print a list of your scheduled transaction, click the in the upper right corner of the window.
If there happens to be a problem with a transaction that prevents the transaction from being posted, the Post? column for that transaction will be red. The second check in the example below would be an example. The red indicates there is a problem with the transaction detail. This problem will have to be corrected before the check can be posted.
Click on the transaction and look for any part of the detail that has "???????". This indicates an account could not be located. Select a new account. Other problems could include a missing Payee or Bank Account or the absence of any transaction detail lines. If there is a problem, the payee, bank account or Amount box will be red as well. Click on either the payee or bank account boxes to make a correction or add a line to the transaction detail.
The scheduled transaction can be viewed at any time. From the Checkbook screen, click the Schedule button at the top of the screen. To only view scheduled transactions for a specific bank account, choose the bank account in the drop down list at the top of the window.